Active Schools (Reference 142)
The Active Schools initiative aims to ensure that all Victorian students have the skills, confidence and motivation to be active in life.
Active Schools Grants ($30,000) aim to help implement a whole-school approach to improving physical activity and supporting students to be more active. Grant funds may be used for infrastructure or equipment, staff professional development, or engagement with physical activity programs and providers.
Active Schools Physical Education (PE) and Sport Funding Boosts ($3,000) aim to support schools with the costs of physical education, sport and outdoor education. Schools are encouraged to consider innovative ways this funding can be used to encourage an increased uptake of physical activity in their school. Schools may elect to use this funding to boost their physical education or sports budget or spend the funding on items such as outdoor education, bike storage or playground improvements.
Active Schools Extracurricular Boosts ($14,000) aim to support secondary schools with the costs of providing extracurricular physical activity opportunities. Funding may be spent on the cost of running sporting, recreational or physical activity programs either before or after school or during break times. This may include engaging the community or private providers to run programs or paying for casual relief teachers to enable the school to run programs.
Further detail on what funds can be used for is detailed on Active .
Funds cannot be used for:
- purchase of IT equipment
- school staff salaries
- items not related to improving physical activity outcomes.
Funding will be distributed through the Student Resource Package.
- Active Schools grants: $30,000 will be awarded to 100 primary, secondary and specialist schools in 2023 and 2024 following a competitive grant process open for each year to eligible schools in communities experiencing social disadvantage. Eligibility to apply is based on SFOE and applications are assessed against the Active Schools Framework and on how the school will implement activities to strengthen its current approach to student physical activity. There are 25 grants available in each region.
- Active Schools PE and Sport Boost: $3,000 for 300 government primary, secondary, Primary/Secondary, language and specialist schools in 2023 and 2024 in communities experiencing social disadvantage based on SFOE ranking state-wide, which can be used to support schools with the cost of PE and sport and outdoor education.
- Active Schools Extracurricular Boost: $14,000 for 200 government secondary, Primary/Secondary, language and specialist schools in 2023 and 2024 in communities experiencing social disadvantage based on SFOE ranking state-wide, which can be used by schools to support the costs of providing extracurricular activities.
- Active Schools grants: $30,000 for each eligible school.
- Active Schools PE and Sport Boost: $3,000 for each eligible school.
- Active Schools Extracurricular Boost: $14,000 for each eligible school.
Reviewed 05 April 2023