This policy sets out the requirements for conducting structured workplace learning in schools.
- Structured workplace learning provides students with the opportunity to integrate on-the-job experience with secondary study.
- Structured workplace learning is delivered as part of either the:
- Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE)
- Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL)
- VCE Industry and Enterprise, or
- VCAL units
- Schools must ensure they implement this policy and follow the guidance on the Guidance tab, when planning for and conducting structured workplace learning arrangements, to ensure compliance with legislation.
Structured workplace learning provides students with the opportunity to integrate on-the-job experience with secondary study. It is delivered as part of either the:
- VCE Industry and Enterprise
- VCAL units.
- enhanced skill development
- practical application of industry knowledge
- assessment of units of competency
- achievement of some learning outcomes for VCE studies or VCAL units
- enhanced employment opportunities.
Structured Workplace Learning Arrangements
Structured Workplace Learning Arrangement Form
- the employer
- the student
- the parent/guardian of the student — if the student is under 18 years of age
- the Principal or Acting Principal — this authority cannot be delegated to an Assistant Principal or other member of staff.
The Principal must ensure a copy of the signed Arrangement Form is provided to each party. The Principal should retain the original copy.
Variations or amendments to the Arrangement Form may only be made in writing and must be signed by the employer, student, parent/guardian (if the student is under 18 years of age) and the Principal.
Structured Workplace Learning Travel and Accommodation Form
- if it is proposed that the student may need to undertake vehicle travel with their employer and/or supervisor during the arrangement, including travel to-or-from the workplace
- if the student is required to stay in accommodation other than their normal place of residence while undertaking structured workplace learning.
This form must be signed by:
- for travel — both the employer and the parent/guardian — or the student if they are aged 18 years or over
- for accommodation — the parent/guardian — or the student if they are aged 18 years or over.
Statewide Portal — Structured Workplace Learning
The Department has established the Structured Workplace Learning Statewide Portal — a website which provides students and teachers with a single, easy to navigate, information and referral point for structured workplace learning opportunities offered by a diverse range of employers.
Searching on the portal can be done by:
- Industry, or
- VET certificate.
The 31 Local Learning and Employment Networks (LLENs) have been funded to facilitate student access to structured workplace learning placements which are tailored to local priorities and employment opportunities. To find your nearest network, refer to the .
Occupational health and safety
Principals must be satisfied that a student is either undertaking or has completed occupational health and safety (OHS) training prior to commencing structured workplace learning as follows:
- where a student is undertaking structured workplace learning as part of a VET program within VCE or VCAL — the principal must be satisfied that the student
- is undertaking, or
- has completed the OHS training unit of competency within the VET program
- where a student is undertaking structured workplace learning which is not part of a VET program, or structured workplace learning which is not related to their VET program within VCE or VCAL — the principal must be satisfied that the student has completed an OHS program required by the Department as follows:
Child safe standards
Child Safe Standard 6 requires schools to develop and implement risk management strategies to ensure students’ safety in the school environment.
The school environment includes workplace learning environments where students undertake:
- work experience
- structured workplace learning
- school community work/volunteering,
- and School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships.
For Government schools
For Catholic schools
For Independent schools
Structured workplace learning
Provides students with the opportunity to integrate on-the-job experience with secondary study.
Reviewed 02 March 2021