15 Vacating the Premises
The Teacher Tenant may end the Agreement by giving a minimum of 21 days’ notice in writing to the School or Department. In special circumstances (e.g. the Teacher Tenant is transferred at short notice), consideration will be given to a shorter notice period.
The Department can give notice:
- by providing 21 days written notice — without any grounds — after the probationary period has expired
- by providing 21 days written notice on exchange of a sale contract that requires vacant possession, or
- by providing 14 days written notice if the Tenant materially or consistently breaches a term — or terms, of the Agreement or if rent is more than 14 days in arrears, and
- during the probationary period, either party can end the Agreement by providing 21 days written notice
The Agreement will end on the date specified on the notice served by the Teacher Tenant or Department.
However, notwithstanding the Agreement has ended, the Teacher Tenant
- will remain responsible for payment of rent and other money under the Agreement, and
- is not released from the Teacher Tenant’s obligations with respect to vacating and cleaning the Premises until the last to occur of the:
- date specified in a termination notice served by the Teacher Tenant
- date specified in a termination notice served by the Department
- date the Teacher Tenant has removed all furniture and belongings from the residence
- date the Teacher Tenant has cleaned the Premises to the satisfaction of the Department; and
- date the Teacher Tenant returns the keys of the Premises are returned to an approved person
Forward a signed Notice of Intention to Vacate to the Department via, email to: email@example.com
or post to:
VSBA Teacher Housing Property Unit
Department of Education and Training
Level 2, 33 St Andrews Place, East Melbourne, VIC 3002
Finalise the Rent
The VSBA will arrange for Human Resources Division to cease the rental payment deductions from the Teacher Tenant’s salary at the appropriate time. This requires at least two weeks’ notice to take effect. It is the Tenant’s responsibility to ensure that they notify the Department of the vacating date. There will be no refunds if less than two weeks’ notice is provided.
Organise an Outgoing Inspection Condition Report
At the expiration or sooner determination of the Agreement, the Teacher Tenant and Host School must jointly carry out an inspection of the Premises and complete a Property Condition Report. The Teacher Tenant should arrange a mutually convenient time with the Host School.
The Teacher Tenant is responsible for the cost of repairing any damage to the Premises during the Term of the Agreement (excluding fair wear and tear).
The Teacher Tenant will be charged for cleaning costs if the Premises is not left in the same condition as at the commencement date of the Agreement, as evidenced by the Condition Report.
Return of Keys
The Teacher Tenant must return all keys (including all copies of the keys) to the Host School on vacating the Premises. When returning the keys the Teacher Tenant should ensure the keys are ‘tagged’ with the building’s number and address. If the Teacher Tenant does not return the keys, the Teacher Tenant will be charged the cost of ‘re-keying’ locks to the Premises.
It is the Teacher Tenant’s responsibility to disconnect and pay the outstanding balances for utility services (e.g. electricity, gas, water usage and internet). The Teacher Tenant will not be reimbursed for any gas remaining in storage tanks.
The Teacher Tenant should also make any necessary arrangements to change and update their address and/or make arrangements for a redirection of mail.
Belongings Left Behind
The Department may on re-entry or termination remove from the Premises any property of the Teacher Tenant, including any fixtures, fittings or chattels which are not the Department’s property, and place them outside the Premises or store them at the Teacher’s cost for 28 days. The Department will not be liable for any loss or damage caused.
Tenants must leave a forwarding address or contact addresses and phone number when leaving a tenancy.
Reviewed 11 June 2020