For schools to be eligible for the Notebooks for School Staff Program (the program) they must be listed in the department’s Entity Register as: Open.
School staff eligibility is based upon the following criteria:
- Staff must be working in a Victorian government school.
- Staff must be registered on eduPay (including all part-time and full-time staff).
- Staff must be employed under an eligible job code (refer to full Notebooks for School Staff Program Conditions for program-provisioned notebooks in the Resources tab).
Fixed term teachers, principals and education support (ES) staff who meet the eligibility criteria:
- may be allocated a notebook for the duration of their employment contract at the discretion of their school
- must return the notebook to the School Notebook Coordinator (SNC) prior to their departure from the school.
Education support staff
Where a school wishes to nominate a notebook for an ES staff member, the school is required to identify which ES role their staff members fall into for the purpose of the program.
There are 2 roles under ES staff – ES Admin or ES Staff (non-admin). Please use the guidelines below to support the school to make nominations in the Asset Management System (AMS).
ES staff would be considered ‘ES Admin’ staff if they have access to the ‘administration environment’ on their computer. This type of IT profile or computer set-up would include access to applications such as Chess, Cases21 (part of Chess) and eduPay and these staff would typically work in the ‘school office’ (physically or virtually).
These ES roles would perform an administrative function in their day to day work - some examples of these roles (but not limited to) would be Business Managers and other personnel who provide administrative support.
ES Staff (non-admin)
ES staff would be considered ‘ES Staff’ (non-admin) if they have access to the ‘curriculum environment’ on their computer. This type of IT profile or computer access would allow them to perform teaching support roles related to delivering the curriculum within a school.
These staff would typically work with students and teachers. Some examples of these roles (but not limited to) would be Lab Technicians, IT Technicians (different from Specialist Technicians), Integration Aides and Librarians.
Notebook allocation and nomination
ES staff who perform an administrative role (outlined above) can nominate to receive a pre-configured Windows notebook to replace their existing administration desktop.
ES staff who perform an administrative role at an alternate provision Enhanced Windows school (only), will be able to nominate for an allowance (with endorsement from the principal). However, these schools will need to confirm their chosen device can meet the following IMTD windows specification requirements:
- ensuring that all admin devices procured by the school will be managed by the department within their Intune tenant
- all administration devices procured by the school must come with Windows 11 Pro Education
- instruct their partner/supplier to request an Autopilot Partner Connection with the department to register devices within Autopilot
- conduct thorough end-to-end testing with the selected device model, which would need to be completed prior to any large-scale purchase
- take responsibility for vendor management related to drivers and other technical device requirements
- develop the process to manage issues if the device fails and a reset to the original image is required
- be liable for procuring docking station, monitor, keyboard and other equipment to deliver the desktop experience.
Please note, the department is not able to offer an allowance nomination to ES Admin staff at Apple Allowance schools as there is currently not an autopilot solution for Apple devices.
ES staff not performing an administrative role and who work at a program provision school, will be able to nominate for a Windows notebook only.
ES staff not performing an administrative role at an alternate provision school (Apple or Enhanced Windows), will be able to nominate for a Windows notebook or an allowance (with endorsement from the principal).
ES staff can also choose to not receive a notebook.
Reviewed 23 January 2023