Local school policy
A downloadable excursions policy template for Victorian government schools is available on the Department’s School Policy Templates Portal — (login required). Schools can modify the template to suit their local circumstances.
The forms below have been developed by the Department to ensure that schools’ legal obligations with regard to the duty of care towards students are met.
Schools are not required to use these exact forms if they have other communication methods for seeking consent and collecting information for excursions. However, schools should ensure that they do not make substantive modifications to the key information, or remove questions contained in these forms, without seeking advice from the Department’s Legal Division.
These documents have been developed to assist in the planning of excursions
- — when planning your excursion, use this summary to make sure you have met the minimum documentation requirements
- — this must be completed and submitted to the principal for all overnight, adventure activities, interstate, overseas excursions or travel by air or water.
- — checklist in line with Department policy to assist staff and principals in planning excursions.
- — suggested template for completion of the Pre-Activity Check, a compulsory on the day check before embarking on any adventure activity.
- — when conducting adventure activities, students’ experience, skills and preparation pertaining to the activity must be documented in this form.
- — when conducting adventure activities, staff qualifications and experience (including external providers) pertaining to the activity must be documented in this form.
- — sample clothing/equipment list to be adapted by the school relevant to the activity undertaken.
- — a tool to support schools in developing their Emergency Management Plan.
- — suggested template for communications plans for overnight, overseas, interstate excursions or adventure activities.
- (login required) — to assist schools with providing excursion venues student details for contact-tracing purposes. An electronic or hard copy of the form should be provided to the venue at the time of the excursion. Schools can opt to use their own prepared list, but excursion organisers must refer to this proforma to ensure they capture all required information. Please see the (page 18) (login required) for more information.
Risk Management Tools
- — template for compulsory risk assessment for local or day excursions.
- — blank risk register template for all overnight, adventure activities, interstate, overseas excursions or travel by air or water. This also includes a template for the Emergency Management Plan.
- — sample risk register template for all overnight, adventure activities, interstate, or travel by air or water.
- — sample risk register for overseas excursions.
- — understand how the Department’s risk rating matrix works.
- — this document outlines the Department’s approach to risk management. It defines our risk management process, model, appetite, training, reporting and establishes the responsibilities for implementation.
- — accessible version.
- — the Department’s risk management policy and guidance for schools.
Activity Specific Risk Registers
Schools may use the below risk registers, developed for specific activities. School must tailor these risk registers to the individual circumstances of their activity and participating group. For guidance on specific activities, see the Guidance tab.
External information resources
School Update articles relevant to this topic (login required)
Reviewed 29 April 2021