Document the incident
Schools are required to document every incident of physical restraint or seclusion.
A record of the incident must be added to the Computerised Administrative System Environment for Schools (CASES21).
Records must be made as soon as possible following the incident and include:
- the name of the student(s) and staff member(s) involved
- date, time, and location of the incident
- names of witnesses (staff and other students)
- details of the incident of physical restraint or seclusion (a brief factual account)
- any action taken to de-escalate the situation
- the reason why physical restraint or seclusion was used
- the duration of the physical restraint or seclusion
- whether anyone sustained an injury
- immediate post incident actions, such as first aid or contact with emergency services
- details of any post-incident support provided or organised including contact with the student's parent/carer.
Reviewed 25 July 2023