2. Approval of centrally or regionally engaged contractors
The relevant central or regional office representative is responsible for approving engaged contractors, for example, for capital and project managed works.
2.1 Approval of school engaged contractors
The principal and/or their delegate must approve school-engaged contractors by verifying the following details, prior to the commencement of works:
- workers’ compensation and public liability insurance (the department’s stipulated minimum cover for public liability is $10 million. For further information, refer to Insurance for Schools
- relevant suitability checks (for example Working with Children Checks) in accordance with the department’s policy on Working with Children and Other Suitability Checks for School Volunteers and Visitors and local school policy requirements for those contractors who are contracted to work with children (for example, music lessons and sports coaching)
- if high-risk work is being undertaken, a specific Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) or equivalent that is relevant to the work being undertaken
- where working in a confined space, follow the Confined Spaces Policy and Procedure.
2.2 Provider pre-approval process
The department is making it easier for schools to engage contractors by pre-approving the following categories of providers:
- arborists — tree inspection and maintenance specialists
- first aid kit supply and inspection
- hazardous chemical waste removalists
- height safety specialists
- management of beehives and swarms specialists
- OHS consultants
- plant and equipment inspection and maintenance specialists
- playground equipment inspection and maintenance specialists
- structural engineers
- shade sail specialists
- testing and tagging specialists
- wildlife handlers – snake specialists
Pre-approved provider details will become available to all schools via the Simplifying the Engagement of Specialist OHS Providers web page.
Schools will be required to request a quote for services as per the Procurement — Schools Policy.
To apply to become pre-approved provider:
- complete the application
- attach all relevant certificates, licences and other documents requested
- submit your completed application form and relevant documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
- for more information, refer to: Simplifying the Engagement of Specialist OHS providers — Application and Assessment .
2.3 Record approved school engaged contractors
The principal or their delegate must record approved contractors in the Contractor or equivalent template. The equivalent template must include the following information:
- company name
- individual contractor name
- services provided
- telephone number
- email address
- licence details (for example, electrician licence number)
- Public Liability Insurance expiry date
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance expiry date (not required for sole traders)
- induction date
- completion of SWMS
Note: Not applicable for contractors being managed by central office.
Reviewed 22 December 2022