This policy explains the process that schools must follow to make reasonable adjustments to school facilities for students and staff with disabilities, and in some circumstances, parents with disabilities.
- Schools may apply to the (VSBA) for assistance to make to school facilities for students and staff with disabilities, and in some circumstances, parents with disabilities.
- Before making an application to the VSBA, schools must exhaust all alternative solutions for low-and-no-cost operational and timetabling to make the reasonable adjustments, as required under the and the .
- The cost of works must exceed $5,000 (GST inclusive), except for applications for hearing equipment. Where possible, the school should provide a quote for works to be undertaken.
- This policy falls within the 'Manage' stage of the School Asset Lifecycle.
The Accessible Buildings Program (ABP) is designed to support inclusive government school environments and meet legal obligations under anti-discrimination laws.
Through the ABP, the VSBA assists schools to make ‘reasonable adjustments’ to school facilities for students and staff with a disability. This includes pre-existing disabilities, as well as disabilities that arise during enrolment (or employment) as a result of accident or deterioration of existing conditions.
In some circumstances, applications may also be made through the ABP to make modifications so that parents with a disability can access key areas of the school where they will need to attend for example, theatres, assembly halls, the office and pick up/drop off points.
Adjustments to buildings must be cost effective and flexible to allow for changes in demographics, complex behavioural issues, and medical and technological developments.
Applications to the ABP are assessed on a case-by-case basis due to the varied nature of accessibility requirements for individual students, parents and staff members. Applications are to be be specific to the needs of the student or staff member.
Before lodging an ABP application, schools must exhaust all alternative low and no cost operational and timetabling solutions. Schools can contact their regional provision planning manager for assistance with developing these solutions. For information and resources to help support students with disability, refer to .
The cost of works delivered through the ABP must exceed $5,000 (GST inclusive), except for applications for hearing equipment. Where possible, the school should provide a quote for the works as part of their ABP application.
Schools must maintain all modifications and additions in good working order.
A ‘reasonable adjustment’ is determined by the VSBA, working with the school, through consideration of factors including:
- an individual’s circumstances and adjustments required
- health professional reports and advice
- school circumstances and accessibility of existing facilities
- effects on other users of the facilities
- the costs and benefits of making the adjustment.
Reviewed 22 June 2021