The program ensures inclusion into the school environment and respects the dignity and privacy of each student for whom an application is made.
The ABP provides funding for projects to:
- make adjustments to facilities to make sure that students and staff with disabilities have reasonable access to school facilities whilst maintaining their dignity and respect
- meet the needs of students and staff where accessibility issues occur as a result of existing disabilities, or as a result of accident or deteriorating conditions
- make adjustments to the functional spaces that the student needs to access in order to meet their curriculum requirements
Facility modifications may include:
- ramps and handrails (including temporary ramps)
- toilet and shower modifications
- modifications for vision impairments
- modifications for hearing impairments
- change tables and hoists
- limited external works to improve access for the applicant
To ensure a sufficient processing timeframe, schools are strongly encouraged to submit their ABP applications before September 30, in order to meet Term 1 requirements of the following school year. Applications can be made at any time.
Relevant standards and legislation
Works will be undertaken in accordance and consideration with the:
Reviewed 28 May 2020