The Department’s Risk Management Process for Schools guides decision-making to help schools effectively manage risk and prioritise school resources in the context of the school’s operating environment.
Use the Risk Management Process for Schools to identify, assess and review risk associated with:
- activities where a mandatory risk assessment is required under legislation (emergency management, child safety, occupational health and safety, excursions including overseas travel, bus safety)
- developing the Annual Implementation Plan (AIP)
- developing the School Strategic Plan (SSP)
- school operations (such as lesson planning)
- community events or activities that require approval by the school council, such as a school fete
DET School Risk Process flowchart
The 8 steps in the DET School Risk Process flowchart are as follows.
1 Establish the context
- The strategic context
- The organisational context
- The risk management context
- Identify internal and external stakeholders
2 Risk identification
- What are the causes?
- What are the consequences?
3 Risk analysis
- Determine existing controls
- Determine consequence
- Determine likelihood
- Establish risk rating
4 Risk evaluation
Compare level of risk with risk acceptability criteria as defined in the Acceptability Chart
5 Risk treatment
Identify and implement treatment options including: Share/Terminate/Accept/Reduce
6 Communication and consultation
With all relevant internal and external stakeholders, during all stages of the risk management process
7 Monitoring and review
As a planned part of the risk management process that takes place at intervals appropriate to the nature of the objective and the level of risk
8 Recording and reporting
Outcomes of the risk management process should be documented and reported through appropriate mechanisms
Each step is presented in separate boxes. Steps 1 to 5 are presented in descending order with down arrows pointing from Step 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4 and 4 to 5.
Step 6 is positioned to the left of the flowchart and has double-sided arrows pointing to and from Steps 1 to 5.
Step 7 is positioned to the right of the flowchart and has double-sided arrows pointing to and from Steps 1 to 5.
Step 8 is positioned below all other steps.
Reviewed 09 June 2021