Risk register templates
Use the appropriate risk register template to document identified risks and existing risk management strategies (controls) and new risk management strategies (treatments).
All schools must assess their own school specific risks and fill in the register according to their own specific environment. The templates provide example risks with example of existing and new risk management strategies (controls and treatments) however these need to be reviewed or updated to suit your specific context.
- (staff login required) – template for compulsory risk assessment for local excursions
- – risk register template mandatory for all day, overnight, adventure activities, interstate, overseas excursions or travel by air or water. This includes examples and a template for the emergency management plan
- (staff login required)
- (staff login required)
- (staff login required) – general purpose risk register for a school documenting risks associated with objectives in annual implementation plan and school strategic plan as well as risks relating to school operations
- (staff login required) – blank and template only
Risk management framework
- provides a structured and consistent approach for recognising, understanding and responding to risk
- embeds the practice and implementation of risk management as part of transparent, objective and considered decision making and strategic planning
- assists in the delivery high quality service under a duty of care
- supports compliance with government statutory regulations including requirements relating to occupational health and safety, emergency management and the Public Administration Act 2004 (Vic).
This Risk Management — Schools policy is a component of the department's risk management framework.
Tools to support schools undertake a risk management process
The following resources are available to support schools undertake a risk management process:
- – containing the following tools to support the risk management process:
- DET school risk process flowchart
- DET risk process – explaining the 7 step school risk management process
- Consequence criteria guide
- Control effectiveness chart
- Likelihood criteria guide
- Risk rating matrix
- Risk acceptability chart
- School cycle – where schools should use risk management
- PESTLE analysis – used to establish the risk context
- SWOT matrix analysis tool – used in risk identification
Reviewed 01 February 2023