For advice on temporary enrolment requests relating to a flood-related closure of another school, refer to: Temporary enrolments – emergency school closures.
This policy sets out requirements for entry into Victorian government schools, including admissions, enrolments, the placement of students and transfers between schools.
This Enrolment Policy and the mandatory Enrolment in a Victorian Government School Guidelines, available on the Guidance tab, combines the admissions, enrolment, placement and transfers policies into one clear and concise location for Victorian government schools.
Under the Education and Training Reform Act 2006 (Vic):
- Except in very specific circumstances, schooling is compulsory for students who have turned 6 until they turn 17. This applies to students at all schools including mainstream, specialist, and government English language schools or centres.
- Every Victorian student has a legislated right to enrol at their designated neighbourhood school (section 2.2.13) and may be enrolled at another school subject to sufficient accommodation (section 2.2.14). Victorian government schools must refer to the Enrolment in a Victorian Government School Guidelines (refer to Guidance tab), for details on:
- age eligibility, including exceptions and exemptions from the maximum and minimum school age requirements and processes
- determining designated neighbourhood school areas and zones
- Department policy requirements relating to placement of students (Placement Policy) and enrolment management
- enrolment appeal processes and requirements
- determining permanent residence of students and families
- required documentation and information when enrolling students
- transfers between schools
- enrolment in specialist schools
- concurrent enrolment for students entering youth justice or secure welfare.
For policy and guidance on transition process and support for students moving from Year 6 to 7, refer to: Transition — Year 6 to 7.
For policy and guidance on exemptions from attendance and enrolment, refer to: Exemptions to School Attendance and Enrolment.
- Decision Making Responsibilities for Students
- Exemptions from School Attendance and Enrolment
- Home Schooling and Partial Enrolments
- International Student Program (ISP)
- Privacy and Information Sharing
- Transition — Year 6 to 7
- Transition — Early Childhood to School
- Education and Training Reform Act 2006
- Education and Training Reform Regulations 2017
- Family Law Act 1975
- Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008
- Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2019
For support with specific enrolment queries, schools may contact the relevant area executive director in the applicable regional office. Refer to Office for specific contact details for a particular regional office.
For general queries or feedback about this Enrolment Policy please contact the School Provision and Establishment Division via the Victorian School Building Authority on:
Tel: 1800 896 950
Reviewed 08 February 2023