Foundation (Prep) enrolment
Please note: a new Foundation enrolment timeline was released to schools in Term 4, 2022. All Victorian government primary schools, including P–9 and P–12 schools, are required to implement the timeline in 2023 to support Foundation enrolments for the 2024 school year. The enrolment process for children commencing Foundation in 2023 remains unchanged.
Statewide timeline to manage Foundation (Prep) enrolments for the 2024 school year
The new statewide enrolment timeline provides Victorian government primary schools with clear timeframes for enrolling students who will commence Foundation in the 2024 school year.
This is the first time that schools will use a statewide timeline for enrolments into the Foundation year. The timeline seeks to support schools and families by making the Foundation enrolment process simpler, clearer and fairer.
The timeline includes key dates, activity descriptions and an overview of responsibilities to help schools to plan for their Foundation enrolments. Key dates and activities for schools in the 2023–24 timeline include the following:
- Schools can receive enrolment applications from parents/carers from the start of Term 2, 2023. This follows the release of 2024 zones on the department’s and the publication of Foundation enrolment information packs.
- Enrolment applications from parents/carers are to be submitted by Friday, 28 July 2023.
- Schools notify parents/carers of the outcome of enrolment applications by Friday, 11 August 2023.
- Written appeals from parents/carers are to be lodged with schools by Friday, 25 August 2023.
- Schools notify parents/carers in writing of the outcome of appeals by Friday, 15 September 2023.
All primary schools are required to implement the timeline in 2023 to support Foundation enrolments for the 2024 school year.
Enrolment applications submitted after the application due date of 28 July 2023 will be processed by the school as they are received. Schools must manage enrolment applications in accordance with the department’s .
What schools need to do
To ensure that your school manages Foundation enrolments for 2024 in accordance with the new statewide timeline, schools must:
- download and read the timeline and procedures for 2023-24 and share it with relevant teaching and administration staff: (staff login required)
- download and read the enrolment information pack for schools, which provides guidance and templates on the enrolment process: (staff login required)
- update your school’s website using the template website content provided below, and remove any outdated information regarding enrolment dates and activities for enrolment into Foundation for the 2024 school year: (staff login required)
- direct parents/carers of children commencing Foundation in 2024 to the Victorian Government’s page for information and resources on when and how to apply to enrol their child in primary school.
The department’s must continue to be applied in the enrolment of students into Foundation. The statewide timeline will not apply to primary schools exempt from the Placement Policy, such as specialist schools.
Enrolment information packs for schools, parents/carers and the early childhood sector are now available.
- guidance for schools on the Foundation enrolment process, including frequently asked questions
- optional resources that schools can use to communicate about the timeline with prospective families and school community
- forms and standard templates that schools must use for enrolments and appeals, such as template letters for schools to notify parents/carers of the outcome of their enrolment application.
Reviewed 03 April 2023