Foundation (Prep) enrolment
Please note: an updated Foundation enrolment timeline for 2025 enrolments was released to schools in Term 4, 2023. All Victorian government primary schools, including P–9 and P–12 schools, are required to implement the timeline in 2024 to support Foundation enrolments for the 2025 school year. Enrolment information packs for schools, the early childhood sector and parents and carers will be available in late Term 1, 2024.
Statewide timeline to manage Foundation (Prep) enrolments for the 2025 school year
Each year, the department releases the statewide Foundation (Prep) enrolment timeline to Victorian government primary schools in mid-late Term 4. The timeline includes key dates, activity descriptions and an overview of responsibilities to help schools plan for their Foundation enrolments.
Primary schools are required to implement the timeline in 2024 to support Foundation enrolments for the 2025 school year. The statewide timeline does not apply to primary schools exempt from the Placement Policy, such as specialist schools.
Key dates and activities for schools in the 2024–25 timeline include the following:
- Schools can receive enrolment applications from parents and carers from the start of Term 2, 2024. This follows the release of 2025 zones on the department’s and the publication of Foundation enrolment information packs.
- Enrolment applications from parents and carers are to be submitted by Friday 26 July 2024.
- Schools notify parents and carers of the outcome of enrolment applications between Monday 29 July and Friday 9 August 2024.
- Written appeals from parents and carers are to be lodged with schools by Friday 23 August 2024.
- Schools notify parents and carers in writing of the outcome of appeals by Friday 6 September 2024.
The enrolment information pack for parents and carers, which will be available to download from the in late Term 1, 2024, will contain the application form. From the start of Term 2, 2024, parents and carers can use the application form in the enrolment information pack to complete their enrolment application.
Primary schools with an Enrolment Management Implementation Plan (EMIP) in place for the 2024 school year, or under enrolment pressure, are strongly encouraged to provide parents and carers with an application form.
Schools must continue to manage enrolment applications submitted after the application due date of 26 July 2024 and process these as they are received. Schools must consider all enrolment applications in accordance with the department’s .
What schools need to do
To ensure that your school manages Foundation enrolments for 2025 in accordance with the statewide timeline, schools must:
- download and read the timeline and procedures for 2024–25 and share it with relevant teaching and administration staff, as well as the business manager: (staff login required)
- download and read the enrolment information pack for schools, which provides guidance and templates on the enrolment process – note: this pack will be released in late Term 1, 2024
- update your school’s website using the template website content provided below, and remove any outdated information regarding enrolment dates and activities for enrolment into Foundation for the 2025 school year: (staff login required)
- direct parents and carers of children commencing Foundation in 2025 to the Victorian Government’s for information and resources on when and how to apply to enrol their child in primary school.
Enrolment information packs
As part of the department’s annual release of enrolment information, the packs for schools, parents and carers and the early childhood sector will be available in late Term 1, 2024.
The Foundation enrolment information pack for schools will include:
- guidance for schools on the Foundation enrolment process, including frequently asked questions
- optional resources that schools can use to communicate about the timeline with prospective families and the local community
- forms and standard templates that schools must use for enrolments and appeals, such as template letters for schools to notify parents and carers of the outcome of their enrolment application.
Reviewed 28 February 2024