This policy explains department data collection from schools to meet reporting and other obligations. This policy also explains requirements for schools to participate in specific surveys.
- Schools must update student and school data in CASES21 or other department platforms as required by the department.
- Data is extracted from CASES21 as required by the department for reporting purposes.
- Schools must participate in the department’s annual student, parent/caregiver/guardian and staff opinion surveys to generate data for School Performance Reporting and standardised reporting to the school community.
- Schools with children in Prep are expected to participate in the Australian Early Development Census in 2024.
- Schools are notified through the School Update when they are required to submit data and complete surveys.
The department requests schools to provide school-level data annually or from time to time:
- to provide program implementation or evaluation information
- for system reporting.
Due dates, login details and instructions for completing data collections including surveys are provided through the School Update.
Key data extractions, data collections and surveys are listed below. The department may initiate additional collections or surveys from time to time.
Data extracted by the department from CASES21
The department extracts data from CASES21 for:
Student attendance and absences
- For data entry requirements refer to .
- If using third party software for attendance, data must be imported to CASES21 at least monthly.
Teacher judgement of student achievement
Nationally Consistent Collection of Data (NCCD) – students with a disability
Year 9 to 12 exit destinations data
Must be uploaded by the end of the second week in March.
Data collections completed by schools
Principal Survey and Supplementary Census
- Conducted each term
- Covers 8 to 10 topical areas per term on aspects of program implementation or monitoring
- Differentiation based on school-type
Australian Early Development Census
- The sixth nationwide implementation of the AEDC will take place between May 2024 and July 2024 (view )
- Completed by classroom teachers for each child in Prep, and the child does not need to be present
- Takes approximately 13 minutes per child (20 minutes of CRT reimbursement is provided)
Surveys undertaken in schools
Participation in annual student, parent/caregiver/guardian and staff opinion surveys helps schools and the department plan, monitor and evaluate school improvement initiatives. The surveys are aligned with the Framework for Improving Student Outcomes and reflect current research and evidence about what matters most to improve student outcomes.
The department may change these surveys or introduce new surveys for all schools, or a subset of schools, to further enhance system or school reporting.
Information for schools about each survey relevant for the current year is provided in the Guidance tab.
The department provides a standard survey instrument for schools (with differentiation for various participant characteristics), provides access to a secure online survey platform and reports survey results to schools.
Student Attitudes to School Survey
- Conducted annually in Term 2
- All students in Years 4 to 12 are invited to participate.
- Differentiated versions of the survey provided for year level groups, including accessible versions to support participation for students with disability or additional needs
- Schools facilitate collection with students during school time
- Survey provider contacts all schools late in Term 1 or early Term 2 with information and instructions for facilitating the survey with students
Parent/Caregiver/Guardian Opinion Survey
- Conducted annually in Term 3
- Schools have the option to invite a random sample or all of parents/caregivers/guardians to complete the survey
- Some differentiation based on school type
- Survey provider contacts all schools early in Term 3 with information and instructions for distributing the survey to parents
- Schools distribute the survey link to parents
School Staff Survey
- Conducted annually in Term 3
- All staff, teaching and non-teaching are invited to participate. Individual staff participation is voluntary
- Survey is differentiated based on role classification (principal, teacher, education support) and whether staff spend time in the classroom
- Survey provider contacts principals in Term 2 with information and instructions about customising the survey for staff in their school
- Survey provider contacts staff directly to provide a link to complete the survey
Reviewed 22 August 2023