This policy sets out the requirement for schools to develop an Annual Report to the School Community (Annual Report).
- It is a legislative requirement that all Victorian government schools prepare an Annual Report by 30 April each year, and that this includes specific information on student outcomes, attendance and financial activities.
- The Annual Report must be endorsed at a meeting of school council and attested to by the principal and school council president in the (staff login required).
- Annual Reports are provided by the department to the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority for publication on the State Register.
The Annual Report provides an opportunity to share the school’s achievements and progress with the school community.
The Annual Report is prepared in 2 parts:
- the performance summary, which details the school’s performance from the past year and trends over time. This is compiled by the department and is downloadable via the performance summary tab of the Annual Report in SPOT
- the ‘About our school’ commentary, which is prepared by the principal and outlines the achievements of the school in the previous year.
The Annual Report must be endorsed at a meeting of school council and attested to by the principal and school council president in SPOT.
Exemptions from completing an Annual Report
All schools are required to complete an Annual Report for the school year, except for:
- new schools that were not in operation for the full school year, including those formed through a merger or de-merger
- schools that closed during the school year, including schools that formed part of merged or de-merged schools.
Guidance for non-compliant schools
Principals of schools that are not compliant with the Minimum Standards for school registration or Child Safe Standards cannot attest to the Annual Report. Schools that have received advice they are not compliant, or are concerned that this may be the case, must contact the department’s School Compliance Unit for support to become compliant, by phone: or email:
Guidance for hub and annexe schools
Schools in hub and annexe arrangements must each have a stand-alone Annual Report, with endorsement by the respective school council and attestation by the school council president. Principals of annexe schools can contact for technical assistance.
Reviewed 26 February 2024