Attestation and endorsement
The obligations of attestation and endorsement recognise the different roles and responsibilities of principals and school councils in relation to school governance, and the importance of the minimum standards in keeping students and staff safe.
By attesting the Annual Report, the principal attests that:
- all teachers at the school meet the registration requirements of the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT)
- the school meets prescribed Minimum Standards for registration as regulated by the Victorian Regulation and Qualifications Authority (VRQA) in accordance with the . This includes schools granted an exemption by the VRQA until 31 December 2021 from the Minimum Standards for student enrolment numbers and/or curriculum framework for school language programs
- the school is compliant with the Child Safe Standards prescribed in .
- principals of schools non-compliant with the Minimum Standards or Child Safe Standards cannot attest to the Annual Report. If your school is not compliant please contact the department’s School Compliance Unit for support to become compliant, phone: or email:
By attesting the Annual Report, the school council president attests that the Annual Report:
- has been tabled and endorsed at a meeting of the school council under the
- will be publicly shared with the school community.
How to attest in SPOT
- Log on to the (login required)
- On your school homepage under ‘Annual Report to the School Community’ select ‘2021’ from the drop-down box and click ‘Manage report’.
- Navigate to the ‘Attest and view report’ tab
- Principals can attest by clicking on the ‘attest’ button
- Once the principal has attested to the Annual Report, the school council president will receive an email to alert the that the Annual Report is ready for endorsement and attestation
- Following endorsement of the Annual Report at school council meeting, school council presidents should follow the steps above to attest to the Annual Report
If the school council requests changes to the Annual Report prior to endorsement:
- It is recommended that it is motioned and noted in meeting minutes that the Annual Report is endorsed by the school council pending changes.
- This precludes the principal having to take the Annual Report back to a subsequent school council meeting for endorsement.
- Where changes to the Annual Report are required, click the ‘Edit About our school commentary’ button under the ‘Attest and view report’ tab in SPOT.
- Once the required changes have been made to the Annual Report as recommended by the school council, the principal can re-attest.
- An email notification will then be sent to the school council president’s @education email account prompting them to attest the Annual Report in SPOT on behalf of the school council.
Making changes to the Annual Report after attestation
- If changes are required after principal attestation, click the ‘Edit About our school commentary’ button under the ‘Attest and view report’ tab.
- This will revert the Annual Report to draft and the principal will be able to make any changes.
- School council presidents have read-only access to the Annual Report – they cannot add comments or make changes to the Annual Report.
- If the school council president has already attested the Annual Report and changes need to be made, please use the ‘Report an issue’ button on SPOT to request the Annual Report to be reverted to draft.
- After making changes the principal should re-attest the Annual Report, share changes with the school council, and ask the school council president to re-attest.
Reviewed 24 November 2022