Workers’ Compensation (Reference 37)
Each school’s workers’ compensation budget allocation has been determined by applying an averaged claim cost rate for each school type to the remuneration of each school.
The amount charged against a school’s workers’ compensation budget allocation is based on the actual incurred costs of claims that have been lodged at the school during the 2023/2024 workers’ compensation premium calculation period from 1 January 2020 to 30 June 2022.
If the total cost of these claims is greater than a school’s workers’ compensation budget allocation, the school is required to pay all or part of the difference, capped at 0.5% of its remuneration up to a maximum of $25,000.
Savings capped at 0.5% of remuneration, up to a maximum of $25,000 accrue to those schools with claims costs less than their workers’ compensation budget allocations. Full 2024 Workers’ Compensation budget allocations, charge out amounts and end of year balance details are in the .
Exempt category claims
The following categories of claims are eligible for exemption from the calculation of a school’s 2024 Student Resource Package (SRP) Workers’ Compensation cost:
- Workers’ compensation claims that have injury dates prior to 1 July 2000.
- Workers’ compensation claims from staff who work across a number of schools.
- Workers’ compensation claims accepted in error by the department’s WorkSafe agent, Gallagher Bassett Services Pty Ltd.
- Workers’ compensation claims arising from participation in the Teacher Games.
Consideration will also be given to exempting schools from the costs of claims:
- from staff who have been the subject of compassionate transfer because of health reasons
- from principals and other staff whose claims are associated with unsatisfactory performance or discipline proceedings.
Schools that have claims in these categories lodged over the period from 1 January 2020 to 30 June 2022, or who wish to seek an exemption, should notify the Return to Work and Compensation team at by Friday 30 June 2023.
Schools may request the school's workers’ compensation cost be reviewed by the Workers’ Compensation Claims Advisory Service. Schools should provide details of the circumstances to be taken into consideration as part of the request. The Return to Work and Compensation team will advise schools of the results of these reviews.
Reviewed 04 April 2023