Policy last updated
15 June 2020
- All Department staff
Refer to the Policy and Guidelines tab
- Annual Leave — Teaching Service
- Bereavement Leave
- Compassionate leave — refer to Bereavement Leave
- Leave Without Pay — Teaching Service
- Industrial Agreements
- Industrial Awards
- Legislation — Employment Topics
- Ministerial Orders — Employment
Policy and Guidelines
Policy and Guidelines
A public service or education support class employee of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent may be given approval for attendance during working hours at any Aboriginal community meetings, except the Annual General Meetings of Aboriginal community organisations at which the election of office bearers will occur.
Employees of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent may be granted access to accrued long service leave or such other leave approved by the Secretary (or delegate) to attend Annual General Meetings of Aboriginal community organisations at which the election of office bearers will occur.
Leave may be granted to an employee of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent for ceremonial purposes:
- connected with the death of a member of the immediate family or extended family (provided that no employee will have an existing entitlement reduced as a result of this provision), or
- for other ceremonial obligations under Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander law
Where a Victorian Public Service (VPS) employee of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent takes ceremonial leave for the purposes outlined above, up to 3 days in each year of employment will be with pay. Such leave will not accrue from year to year and will not be paid out on termination. For all other employees, ceremonial leave will be without pay.
Ceremonial leave is in addition to leave granted under the compassionate or bereavement leave provisions.
VPS employees of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent are also entitled under the Victorian Public Service Enterprise Agreement 2016 to 1 day of paid leave per year to participate in National Aboriginal and Islander Day Observance Committee (NAIDOC) week activities and events.
Procedures and forms
The following applies in relation to applying for leave:
- applications for leave should be submitted through employee self service (ESS). Select the following link for more information on ESS eduPay
- an application will need to be made in writing where an employee is unable to access or use ESS or wishes to amend or delete leave submitted through ESS and approved on eduPay
Victorian Public Sector Commission for Victorian Public Service (VPS) employees:
Reviewed 14 May 2020