Controlling risks arising from workplace safety inspections
Risk controls must be implemented by the principal and/or their delegate in consultation with health and safety representatives and affected school staff.
The principal and/or their delegate must use the completed reporting plan within the checklists (section 2) to facilitate a discussion on next steps and appropriate controls.
This discussion must include:
- prioritising hazards identified, through assessing the consequence and likelihood of an incident occurring
- identifying appropriate hazard controls
- depending on the hazards being addressed, engaging contractors or other subject matter experts as required
- competing priorities and most urgent tasks
- budget constraints and available funding – refer to the and the for more information regarding repairs and building management
- clearly stating the controls to be implemented, allocating a responsible person and providing a date for completion
- reporting all hazards on , including those risk controls that cannot be implemented immediately, for further action and management.
Workplace safety inspections must be supported by other risk prevention measures such as a culture of near miss, incident and hazard reporting and an effective consultation process.
Reviewed 22 November 2022