On this page:
- 4. COVID-19 employee health, safety and wellbeing supports for schools
- COVID-19 Safety Management Plan (COVIDSafe Plan)
- Managing the risk of COVID-19 in schools
- COVID-19 Infection prevention and control training and information
- COVIDSafe Assurance Program for Schools
- Other information and useful sources
4. COVID-19 employee health, safety and wellbeing supports for schools
The latest COVID-19 advice for schools is available at: COVID-19 advice for .
COVID-19 Safety Management Plan (COVIDSafe Plan)
The COVID-19 Safety Management Plan (COVIDSafe Plan) applies to all schools and outlines the key OHS risks and links to the latest guidance. All schools must have a copy of this plan available at their school. This document in conjunction with the COVID-19 – School Operations Advice sets out the approach for managing safety risks in schools in accordance with the minimum requirements for the COVIDSafe Plans.
The department’s OHS Advisory Service (email@example.com) or local Regional OHS support officers can assist in tailoring the plan to individual school needs. Principals must consult with their staff through local health and safety representatives (HSRs) and health and safety committees (if applicable) or via staff meetings to implement the health and safety guidance to the extent reasonably practicable, and escalate unresolved issues via eduSafe (staff login required), which is being proactively monitored by the department to provide support.
Managing the risk of COVID-19 in schools
Schools should continue to follow the advice outlined in the COVID-19 – School Operations Advice for managing the risk of COVID-19. Further guidance on providing a safe space for isolating unwell staff or (staff login required) is available on the department’s intranet.
COVID-19 Infection prevention and control training and information
All staff working on-site in schools are required to have completed the eLearn module School infection prevention and control during (staff login required). A parallel module is now also available on for pre-service teachers, casual relief teachers and other staff working in schools who do not have eduPay access. Staff may complete the training again as a refresher, at any time.
COVIDSafe Assurance Program for Schools
The COVIDSafe Assurance Program for Schools provides COVID-19 support and monitoring to schools through risk based or reactive support that is available for all schools. The program involves trained OHS Support Officers providing remote or on-site support to any schools that are identified as needing support, or in response to requests for support to implement the COVIDSafe controls.
Schools can contact the department’s OHS Advisory Service (firstname.lastname@example.org) or local Regional OHS support officers for onsite or remote support on COVIDSafe Assurance Program.
Other information and useful sources
- Employee Health, Safety and Wellbeing services for all (staff login required)
- Principal health and wellbeing services are available to support leaders of the school community
- If there are issues that require escalation for support (such as issues in implementing the guidance), schools should contact the OHS Advisory Service on 1300 074 715
Reviewed 20 January 2023