The purpose of this policy is to ensure school website addresses are created, registered and managed appropriately.
- The Department funds one domain name for each government school.
- Schools may purchase additional domain names at their own cost and must adhere to the conditions in this policy for creating and maintaining that domain name.
- The Guidance tab provides the processes for creating, managing and closing both Department allocated and school purchased domain names.
The Department allocates funding for one domain name for each government school.
All government school domain names must:
- be created and registered through Education Services Australia (ESA) and comply with their terms and conditions
- comply with specific naming conventions such as: schoolname.vic.edu.au
Note: ESA is the Australian authority for the registration of all educational domain names.
ESA can be contacted by email at email@example.com or phone 1300 885 092 or 03 9207 9600.
Additional domain names
Schools may obtain additional or alternative domain names at their own cost.
For all additional domain names schools must:
- Ensure there is a strong rationale for the additional domain name and appropriate management processes in place.
- Ensure that contact details are maintained and that renewal reminders are sent to an email address that will be regularly monitored e.g. an administration mailbox rather than a personal account.
- Notify iiNet (The current Internet Service Provider for all government schools ) of the creation of new, or changes to existing domain names. Contact details are provided in the Contact section below.
- Notify their Technical Support to Schools (TSSP) technician of the creation of new, or changes to existing domain names.
Please refer to the Guidance tab for information on the processes for creating, maintaining and closing domain names.
An internet domain name is an address where a website is located and emails are delivered to. The domain name forms the first part of a web Uniform Resource Locater (URL), and is often followed by the name of a page to visit, for example: ...
For questions regarding the registration of domain names:
Education Services Australia
Phone: 03 9207 9600
To notify iiNet (formerly Netspace) when creating or changing to domain names:
Phone: 03 9811 0076
Reviewed 15 February 2021