This policy sets out school obligations for the application process from primary school to secondary school and the support schools need to provide students to assist in a smooth transition from Year 6 to Year 7.
Supporting a positive transition to secondary school in 2022
Supporting students transitioning to Year 7 in 2022 will be a key shared priority for primary and secondary schools.
To support this process, the Department has developed guidance to help primary and secondary schools to support an effective transition to secondary school for Year 6 students moving to secondary school in 2022. Refer to .
Year 7 application process – annual transition information packs
For placement in Year 7 at secondary school for commencement in 2022
To ensure all Year 6 students are placed in a secondary school for Year 7, primary and secondary schools must:
- download the (staff login required) – there is one state-wide pack for use by all government schools for the 2021-22 transition period
- follow the procedures and meet the deadlines as outlined in the Year 6 to 7 Transition Information Packs and
- complete the Student Data Transfer Year 6 to 7 process through CASES21.
Information for families on transitioning from Year 6 to 7, including the 2021-22 Transition Information Packs for Parents/Carers, is available on the parent section of the Department’s website, refer to:
Two different parent/carer packs are available to download from the parent/carers page:
- 2021-22 Transition Information Pack for Parents/Carers with Year 6 Students at Government Schools
- 2021-22 Transition Information Pack for Parents/Carers with Year 6 Students at Non-Government Schools.
Supporting student transitions
A successful transition from primary to secondary school involves a student being able to move as seamlessly as possible to their new setting. To ensure all students are supported in their transition to secondary school, schools must ensure their transition practice and programs provide appropriate personal, social and academic supports to promote student engagement and wellbeing. Schools are also encouraged to:
- refer to the Year 6 to 7 transitions framework to identify their key accountabilities
- develop and update a school and/or cluster transitions plan
- establish and maintain relationships with main feeder schools.
The Guidance and Resources tabs provide information and support to help schools develop and implement effective transition practice and programs.
For school queries, transition packs, and support
Contact the regional Youth Pathways and Transitions Managers (one per Region), School Improvement Division, Schools and Regional Services.
For school queries or feedback on this Transition — Year 6 to 7 Policy
Reviewed 29 October 2021