Orientation Day 2020
This policy sets out school obligations for the application process from primary school to secondary school and the support schools need to provide students to assist in a smooth transition from Year 6 to Year 7.
Supporting a positive start to secondary school in 2021
Supporting students transitioning to Year 7 in 2021 will be a key shared priority for primary and secondary schools.
To support this process, the Department has developed guidance to help schools to prepare for and engage with effective transition to secondary school practice to support the transition needs of Year 7 students starting school in 2021. Refer to:
Year 7 application process — annual transition information packs
To ensure all Year 6 students are placed in a secondary school for Year 7, primary and secondary schools must:
- download the (login required), also available on the — there is one state-wide pack for use by all government schools for the 2020-21 transition period
- follow the procedures and meet the deadlines as outlined in the Year 6 to 7 Transition Information Packs and
- complete the Student Data Transfer Year 6 to 7 process through CASES21
Note: in previous years separate information packs were developed for each Region. This is not the case for the 2020-2021 transition process. All schools must use the information pack above.
Information for families on transitioning from Year 6 to 7, including the 2020 Transition Information Packs for Parents/Carers, is available on the parent section of the Department’s website, refer to:
Two different parent/carer packs are available to download from the parent page:
- 2020 Transition Information Pack for Parents/Carers with Year 6 Students at Government Schools
- 2020 Transition Information Pack for Parents/Carers with Year 6 Students at Non-Government Schools
Supporting student transitions
A successful transition from primary to secondary school involves a student being able to move as seamlessly as possible to their new setting. To ensure all students are supported in their transition to secondary school, schools must ensure their transition practice and programs provide appropriate personal, social and academic supports to promote student engagement and wellbeing. Schools are also encouraged to:
- refer to the Year 6 to 7 transitions framework to identify their key accountabilities
- develop and update a school and/or cluster transitions plan; and
- establish and maintain relationships with main feeder schools
The Guidance and Resources tabs provide information and support to help schools develop and implement effective transition practice and programs.
For Transition Packs and support:
Contact the regional Youth Pathways and Transitions Managers (one per Region), School Improvement Division, Schools and Regional Services
Reviewed 17 November 2020