4 Controlling risks posed by traffic
When determining controls to reduce risks associated with traffic at the school, the principal and/or their delegate must follow the hierarchy of control outlined in OHS Risk Management Procedure.
Examples of controls (from most to least effective) could include:
- eliminating the need for mobile plant or vehicles to enter school grounds
- substituting the use of ride on lawn mowers for push lawn mowers
- improving workplace design and layout with clearly marked pedestrian walkways and physical barriers next to driveways/roads
- ensuring there are clearly marked designated zones, for delivery vehicles, that are well distanced from pedestrian areas
- training employees, contractors and visitors about traffic related hazards — refer to the
- providing personal protective equipment (PPE) such as high visibility vests.
Reviewed 09 February 2021