Controversial topics will often be appropriate and important subjects of study in schools and, at times, cannot be avoided in the context of teaching and learning.
However, the contexts of controversial topics or themes about which objections can be anticipated include:
- themes related to magic or fantasy
- racial and religious themes
- sexual activity, nudity and related themes
- drug misuse or addiction
- gambling and fraudulent activities
- crime, violence or cruelty
- suicide and excessively bleak scenarios
- the depiction of revolting or abhorrent phenomena
- satirical or comparative perspectives on race, religion or gender.
Reviewed 29 August 2023