Policy last updated
16 August 2022
- School councils
This policy provides an overview of the policies, guidance and resources available to support school councils to understand their roles, responsibilities and school council processes.
Overview of polices and guidance on school councils
School councils play an important role in Victorian government schools. The department has developed a range of polices, guidelines and resources to support existing and prospective school councillors to understand their roles, responsibilities and school council processes.
Outlines school council’s role by explaining their legislated powers, duties and functions.
Details the required process and documentation for conducting school council elections.
- Outlines the requirements under the constituting Order relating to the total size of a school council, and the size and type of school council membership categories.
- This policy also provides information on:
- school council office bearers, such as Executive Officer, President, Treasurer
- the terms of office for school council members and office bearers
- how to change the size and composition of a school council.
- Provides training information, materials and resources to support the knowledge, understanding and skills of school council members, including:
- the Improving School Governance training modules
- information on accessing face-to-face training
- online training.
- Includes links to the School Council Portal and access to the school council self-assessment tool. Guidance on effective governance and how to build school council capacities is provided.
Outlines the requirements, sample documentation and good practice advice in relation to school council meetings.
Provides guidance on establishing and running school council subcommittees.
Provides policy and guidance for school councils on employment of staff, including pre-employment requirements, conditions of employment, grievances, payroll and record keeping.
- Outlines the requirements relating to the conduct of school council members, and how to avoid and manage conduct issues.
- This policy also outlines requirements relating to conflicts of interest.
Outlines the legal liability for school councils and school council members and sets out the process for seeking assistance with legal claims.
Outlines the process and documentation required in establishing a new school council.
There are a number of other Department policies that school councils will need to consider when performing their roles and responsibilities, such as the Finance Manual – Financial Management for Schools, Contractor OHS Management, Parent Payments and many more.
There is no further guidance for this topic.
Currently there are no resources for this topic.
Reviewed 13 April 2023