The purpose of this policy is to ensure school food premises are operated safely and food is handled appropriately.
School councils must ensure that school canteens meet legislative requirements under the Act by:
- having a with the training, skills and knowledge to ensure that:
- all regulations are followed
- anyone handling food has the correct training
- ensuring a is prepared based on the Department of Health and Human Services template. Information on where schools can purchase this template can be found in the Resources section
- lodging the food safety program with the municipal council at the time of registration and re-registration
Class 2 premises
Class 2 food premises are those whose main activity is handling unpackaged potentially hazardous foods which need correct temperature control during the food handling process, including cooking and storage, to keep them safe. This includes restaurants, fast food outlets, pubs, caterers, delicatessens, supermarkets with delicatessens, cafes and most manufacturers.
Reviewed 17 February 2021