3 Exemption process — Students who have not completed Year 10 and will participate full-time in approved education or training and/or employment
This section describes how to manage an attendance and enrolment exemption for students who have not completed Year 10 and will participate in approved education or training and/or employment on a full time basis (Ministerial Order , Part 2) and who is responsible for each stage.
- Parent/carer — Approaches the school in writing about the student seeking to leave school.
- School — Speaks with the parents/carers and student about the:
- student's goals, aspirations, issues and reasons for wanting to leave school (using a Career Action Plan)
- student’s planned destination
- possible alternatives to leaving school.
- Principal —Must:
- consider the best interests of the student, and
- complete the Exemption from School Application (formerly the School Exit form) and forward to the Regional Director for decision.
- Regional Director — To grant an exemption, the Regional Director must:
- determine that the student meets the requirements for exemption;
- consider the wellbeing and development needs of the student, taking into account:
- the student’s aspirations and reasons for wanting to leave school, and
- the views of the student’s family
- assess the likelihood that the student will complete the education or training or stay with the employer while of compulsory school age
- consider if there are possible alternate arrangements to exemption; and
- consider the best interests of the student
- decide what, if any, conditions will apply to the exemption, for example, whether the exemption will be time-limited
In considering the best interests of the student, the Regional Director should consider:
- steps taken to keep the student in school
- the likelihood of the student completing the education, training or staying with the employer if the exemption is granted
- whether the proposed employment (if applicable) complies with the Child Employment Act 2003 particularly whether it contains a training component
- the likely outcome if the exemption is not granted.
The Regional Director should then advise the school, the student and their parent/carer of his/her decision.
Guidance chapter outlining the exemption process for students who have not completed Year 10 and will participate full-time in approved education or training and/or employment
Reviewed 18 January 2021