School operations

Supporting Students in Out-of-Home Care

4 Make a referral for an Educational Needs Analysis

Every child and young person who has been living in statutory out-of-home-care for at least three months (consecutively or for a period that adds up to three months) requires an Educational Needs Analysis (ENA). If a member of the Student Support Group (SSG) has concerns regarding the student’s presentation and rate of progression the ENA process should begin immediately.

To refer student in care for an ENA, schools need to:

  • undertake a pre-referral discussion with the Student Support Services Key Contact. The Key Contact may be the Student Support Services representative at the initial SSG
  • obtain consent from the parent/legal guardian or mature minor
  • submit a referral on the Student Online Case System (SOCS)

The Student Support Services Team Leader allocates the referral to the appropriate team member.

The ENA is undertaken in coordination with the SSG. When the ENA is complete it is used to inform the individual education plan and supports to put in place for the student at the school.

For more information on the ENA process, please visit chapter 6 and chapter 7 of these guidelines.

Chapter 4 of the Out-of-Home Care Guidelines on making referral for an Educational Needs Analysis to support a child or young person in out-of-home care

Reviewed 21 October 2020

Was this page helpful?