The purpose of this policy is to ensure that all Occupational Health and Safety activities needed to keep people safe and well are properly planned and managed
- The requires the Department to provide or maintain, systems of work that are, so far as is reasonably practicable, safe and without risk to health.
- The principal and/or their delegate must schedule and manage their regular OHS activities using the or equivalent.
- The principal and/or their delegate must review and customise the generic OHS Activities Calendar based on their school’s profile (facilities, OHS hazards) and ensure that planned OHS activities are completed and recorded in a timely manner.
- Under the OHS Act 2004, employees while at work must take reasonable care for their own health and safety and the safety of others who may be affected by their actions or omissions.
- Central and regional offices provide a range of supports and services to assist principals and employees to be safe and well, including access to OHS Advisory Service and local OHS regional officers, who can provide free advice on OHS planning.
- The (in the Procedure tab) must be followed, and sets out the practical step-by-step instructions for implementing this policy.
- This policy forms part of the Department’s OHS Management System, see for further information.
A planned approach to OHS is a critical component of the OHS Management System.
The Department has established a tool that enables schools to document and plan the scheduling and management of OHS activities in the workplace. The generic OHS Activities Calendar, when adapted for your particular school, will provide practical support to an organised systematic approach to OHS management.
The principal and/or their delegate in consultation with the Health and Safety Representatives (HSR), Health and Safety Committee (if available), Area / Subject Coordinators must ensure that:
- the OHS Activities Calendar or its equivalent is reviewed annually, to ensure all OHS activities that are relevant to the school’s context are adequately captured and non-relevant activities are deleted
- plans are in place to complete the activities in the school’s OHS Activities Calendar in the time frames specified
- responsibilities are delegated for some activities, where needed, and these should be recognised as professional development for the staff member who completes the delegated tasks
- OHS activities are displayed on the OHS notice board or communicated via other appropriate means
- the OHS Activities Calendar is revisited, when an activity is completed or needs to be changed, to ensure that all activities are completed, and statuses are updated. This will also ensure that delays in completing activities are noted and actions are taken to facilitate the completion of these late actions.
Reviewed 22 February 2021