The purpose of this page is to give an overview of the role of schools in promoting the mental health and wellbeing of students and to outline where relevant guidance and programs can be found.
- Schools provide a positive and nurturing environment for students to develop confidence, social skills and healthy life habits.
- By building high resilience, schools equip students with the skills and strategies they need to tackle current and future challenges to their wellbeing and mental health.
- Schools also play a role in identifying signs of mental health issues, providing early support, and referring students to health services.
- The Department has developed an online Mental Health Toolkit to support schools to improve the mental health and wellbeing of students.
- The draws from existing Department resources, guidance and programs and leverages expert external advice on promoting and supporting mental health in schools.
Related policies or advice
How to identify signs of mental health issues, provide early support, refer students to health services and provide a positive and nurturing environment for students to manage their condition
Reviewed 27 May 2020