Resources are available to assist in the development, implementation and operation of an Emergency Management Plan (EMP).
The publications below contain important step-by-step instructions to assist in developing and updating EMPs.
If a school is operating an out-of-school-hours care (OSHC) or school holiday program, the service/program will need to complete the EMP template using the Guide for early childhood services and non-government schools.
Emergency management online portal
The school principal must log in to the online portal first and delegate access to relevant staff to review and update the school plan.
New school registrations should use the sample emergency management plan in lieu of access to the online planning tool.
To support ongoing learning about emergency management including planning, conducting drills, risk management and associated topics, the department has developed a suite of emergency and critical incident management e-Learning modules. All school staff can now enrol and access these self-directed online learning modules any time. The modules provide a short, accessible introduction to the following topics:
- Emergency Management: Planning Essentials
- Emergency Management: Conducting Drills
- Emergency Management: Risk Management
- Emergency Management: Excursions
- Emergency Management: Response in government schools
- Emergency Management: Business Continuity
- Emergency Management: Bushfire At Risk Register
Information and warnings
All schools should be aware of the following:
- (note: all principals and key school staff should download the App on their phone with a watch zone around their school to receive alerts and information regarding hazards and incidents in their vicinity)
- Vic Emergency Hotline on
- (CFA website)
Template documents and checklists
- – provides a sample layout to assist schools in identifying relevant landmarks and routes to offsite assembly areas
- – provides a sample layout to assist schools in developing their communications tree
- – provides a sample layout and icons to assist schools in developing their evacuation diagrams
- – to assist schools in developing their evacuation diagrams in line with relevant standards
- - provides a sample structure to assist schools in developing their Incident Management Team diagram for larger schools with sufficient staff to cover all functions
- - provides a sample structure to assist schools in developing their Incident Management Team diagram, tailored to the roles likely to be prioritised by smaller schools
Reviewed 07 October 2022