This policy sets out the circumstances in which schools may or may not allow the consumption of alcohol on school premises or at school events or school-approved activities of any kind.


  • Schools must obtain school council approval before alcohol may be sold and/or consumed on school premises.
  • Schools must adhere to all legal requirements for the sale and provision of alcohol at school events.
  • Schools must prohibit the consumption of alcohol by students at school, or any school organised activity, during school hours.
  • A temporary limited liquor licence may be required where alcohol is being sold.


Schools must adhere to the legal requirements for the sale and provision of alcohol at school-approved activities of any kind, including those held off school premises.

Functions on school premises

Schools must obtain school council approval before alcohol may be consumed on school premises.

When considering whether to allow the consumption of alcohol on school premises, councils should consider:

Examples of the type of applications that the school council may approve are:

  • private functions organised by the council if students are not present
  • outside organisations hiring or leasing school buildings
  • private staff functions that exclude students
  • school fundraising functions or events on school grounds.

If school council approves the consumption of alcohol on school premises they must ensure adherence to the responsible service of alcohol requirements. Further information, including about types of liquor licenses, and when a licence is required can be obtained from Liquor Control VictoriaExternal Link , phone 1300 182 457.

Students should not be involved in fundraising events that have an alcoholic beverage as a prize.

Functions off school premises

When alcohol is sold at school functions off school premises, students under 18 may only be present if they are:

  • accompanied and under direct supervision by a parent/carer over the age of 18
  • engaged in a hospitality training program, employment or work experience
  • approved by the Director of Liquor Licensing under section 122 of the Liquor Control Reform Act 1998 (Vic)External Link
  • on premises which have an ‘on premises’ license granted as a restaurant and the function occurs during regular trading hours
  • attending a function as approved by Liquor Control Victoria taking into account the above requirements.

A temporary limited liquor licence is required for events where payment is required to attend the event and the ticket price includes the supply of alcohol and/or over the counter sales. Liquor Control VictoriaExternal Link will advise on whether a licence is required and the requirements for applying for a licence.

School camps and excursions – staff

School staff should be aware that consumption of alcohol by staff during camps or excursions is:

  • inconsistent with the standard of professional conduct necessary to maintain community confidence in these activities
  • is considered unwise
  • could lead to allegations of negligence and loss of WorkCover rights.

A definition of school staff can be found at Staffing – roles and responsibilities.

For information on alcohol consumption by students, including on camps and excursions, refer to the department’s policy on Alcohol and Other Drug Use – Students.

Relevant legislation

Outlines school Policy on consumption of alcohol on school premises or at school events.

Reviewed 11 April 2023

Policy last updated

16 August 2022


  • Schools
  • School councils


Operations and Governance Division

Was this page helpful?