The purpose of this policy is to ensure schools support pregnant and parenting students.
Students who are pregnant or parenting:
- have the right to continue schooling
- must provide a medical certificate after 34 weeks stating they are fit to attend school.
Schools and principals can make local decisions to support students to continue their schooling.
The below information describes how schools must support students who are pregnant or parenting to continue their schooling and remain connected to education.
Schools must respond to the student’s capacity to balance:
- out of class commitments.
Schools must use targeted funds such as Career Education Funding (CEF) to tailor programs and resources to individual student’s needs.
Schools must explain the options and flexibility for continuing education, as appropriate for the student, including:
- Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) which can be studied over 3 years
- VCE Vocational Major and Victorian Pathways Certificate (VPC)
- Vocational Education and Training (VET) in VCE
- part-time apprenticeships
Reviewed 24 January 2023