This policy outlines practical and financial help available to complete a pre-service teaching placement in an eligible regional, remote or specialist Victorian government school.
Grants are now available to support pre-service teachers completing a teaching placement in an eligible regional, remote or specialist Victorian government school.
To apply for a grant, pre-service teachers must complete a teaching placement:
- in an eligible regional, remote or specialist Victorian government school
- between 1 July 2023 to 31 December 2025.
Grant payments vary based on eligible areas shown on the map below and will be paid directly to students via a program-specific grants portal:
- $140 per day for placements in a specialist setting in metropolitan Melbourne
- $140 per day for all schools in regional urban centres
- $280 per day for all schools in inner regional placements
- $420 per day for all schools in outer regional and remote placements.
Further information on how to claim these grants will be released by your university.
To find out more or to express interest in completing a placement in an eligible school, pre-service teachers should contact their placement coordinator.
A map of Victoria shows the areas eligible for pre-service teacher placement grants. Areas shaded in yellow are regional urban centres, areas shaded in light-blue are inner regional, areas shaded in dark blue are outer regional and remote, and areas shaded in white are only open to specialist settings rates.
Reviewed 16 November 2023