This policy sets out requirements for schools managing school buildings listed on the Victorian Heritage Register or with a Heritage Overlay.
- Under the (the Act) principals, as asset managers, must not allow Victorian Heritage Register listed buildings to fall into disrepair or fail to maintain those buildings to the extent that their conservation is threatened.
- Schools must obtain approval before commencing school-led works on Victorian Heritage Register listed buildings.
- Schools do not need approval but are encouraged to liaise with their local council before undertaking school-led works on buildings with a
- This policy falls within the 'Manage' stage of the School Asset Lifecycle.
The Victorian School Building Authority (VSBA) is committed to preserving places listed on the Victorian Heritage Register and buildings with a heritage overlay. The VSBA supports schools to effectively manage these assets.
Buildings on the Victorian Heritage Register
Under the Act, principals must not allow Victorian Heritage Register listed buildings to fall into disrepair or fail to maintain those buildings to the extent that their conservation is threatened.
A school’s Student Resource Package takes building age and materials (key components of heritage status) into account. This funding helps schools effectively maintain heritage buildings.
In accordance with the Act, schools must obtain approval from Heritage Victoria before commencing school-led works on Victorian Heritage Register listed buildings. Schools may receive this approval as a permit or exemption.
Buildings with a Heritage Overlay
Schools do not require approval to undertake works on buildings with a Heritage Overlay. However, schools are encouraged to consult with their local council before undertaking school-led works on buildings with a Heritage Overlay to ensure the works are consistent with the intent of the heritage overlay.
To nominate a place for inclusion in the Victorian Heritage Register, schools may prepare a submission via The VSBA will assist schools by providing any data or information held centrally that may support this submission. However, the VSBA will not review school submissions.
In Victorian government schools, heritage can apply in the following forms:
- Victorian Heritage Register listed
- Heritage overlay
Victorian Heritage Register listed
Buildings that are assessed as being of state significance are included in the Victorian Heritage Register. The makes these assessments under powers given to them under the Act.
Places of local significance may be protected by listing them on a schedule to the under the local council’s planning scheme. Local councils identify and protect places under the planning scheme.
Reviewed 26 October 2021