The purpose of this policy is to ensure schools offer the appropriate level of support for students who need supervision when eating or drinking for their safety and wellbeing at school.
Requirement for supervision
Students may need supervision with eating and drinking when they:
- have difficulty with oral intake of food and drink and need assistance with the procedure
- are not able to manage the volume of intake necessary for their health and wellbeing
- have complex medical needs such as:
- taking food or fluid via a tube through their nose or directly into their stomach (via nasal or gastric tube feeding)
- risk of aspiration (inhaling food or fluid into the lung) and require suctioning
For students who need supervision whilst eating and drinking schools should request the student’s medical/health practitioner such as a speech pathologist completes a and must develop a to address routine and special events, such as parties.
Reviewed 11 October 2021