The purpose of this policy is to outline the requirements for schools entering into contracts with Non-School Senior Secondary Providers (NSSPs) for the delivery of Community Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (Community VCAL).


  • Schools must ensure the school council enters into contracts (a template contract is available on the Resources tab) with NSSPs that are registered with the Victorian Registrations and Qualifications Authority (VRQA) or the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) registration (as applicable) and authorised by the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA) to deliver Community VCAL.
  • An agreement with an NSSP for the delivery of Community VCAL can only be entered into by the school council.
  • As part of the contract, the ‘home’ school:
    • holds the student’s enrolment
    • retains a duty of care for the student and must take reasonable steps to discharge that duty, primarily by following the steps in this policy and related guidelines ensuring that the NSSP is complying with its obligations under the contract.
  • There are additional regulatory obligations that schools must also comply with to ensure that records are kept in relation to a student’s enrolment, attendance and other issues.
  • Schools must refer to the Guidance for Victorian government schools contracting with non-school senior secondary providers for the delivery of Community VCAL (in the Guidance tab) for guidance and procedures about entering into an agreement with an NSSP for the delivery of Community VCAL.


The arrangement for third party providers, such as an NSSP, to provide educational services to a school is a decision for each school council in consideration of its individual requirements and delivery of the school’s curriculum in line with department policies.

The principal and other key staff play an important advisory role to the school council in making a decision about whether to enter into the contract.

Schools must renew contracts with NSSPs annually and seek endorsement from by the regional director prior to entering into the new contract.

The School Council must use the Re-engagement Program (Standard Community VCAL Contract (DOCX))External Link (staff login required) that has been developed by the department.

Before a school council and NSSP enter into a valid, signed contract, the school must send the completed unsigned contract to the Manager — Youth Pathways and Transitions (MYPAT) in the relevant regional office for final review.

During the contract period, if the home school has any concerns that the NSSP is not meeting its obligations under the contract, the home school must contact the MYPAT for advice.

For more important information about the process for review and endorsement of a contract, as well as more detail about the obligations and responsibilities of home schools and NSSPs, please refer to the Guidance tab.


Community Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (Community VCAL)
Refers to the entire delivery of the VCAL by an external provider that has VRQA registration or ASQA registration (as applicable) and VCAA authorisation to deliver the VCAL on behalf of a government school, at an external location to students who have been assessed as eligible to participate.


Enquires related to contracts between the NSSP and school councils and regional oversight should be directed to the Managers – Youth Pathways and Transitions in your region.

North West Victoria Region

Katrina Moody
Ph: 0436 804 139

North East Victoria Region

Anne Burgoyne
Ph: 7022 0994

South East Victoria Region

Janne Dempster
Ph: 8904 2607

South West Victoria Region

Liz Jones
Ph: 5215 5208

For further advice about the guidance


Department policy outlining requirements for schools entering into contracts with Non-School Senior Secondary Providers for the delivery of Community Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning

Reviewed 22 February 2023

Policy last updated

25 May 2021


  • Schools
  • School councils


There are multiple contacts for this topic. Refer to the Contacts section in the policy for details.

Was this page helpful?