These guidelines are designed to ensure schools implement solar and wind energy systems correctly.
- Schools are permitted to install solar and wind energy systems.
- Before installing a solar or wind energy system to the value of more than $50,000 (including GST), schools must comply with the Department’s .
- All renewable energy systems must be purchased up-front.
- Schools must ensure solar and wind energy systems are installed to the appropriate standard by a qualified provider using relevant accredited installers and approved components where applicable.
- Maintenance of the solar power system must be conducted by a Clean Energy Council to ensure compliance and safety standards are met.
- Before installing a wind energy system, schools must check with their local council to see:
- if they need a building permit
- that the proposed system complies with relevant planning scheme requirements.
Guidance chapter summarising the responsibilities of schools when implementing solar and wind energy systems
Reviewed 25 June 2021