DET resources and services
- COVID-19 Employee health, safety and wellbeing supports OHSMS page on PAL.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP), is a personalised, confidential counselling service for all department staff, including their immediate family (aged 18 years and over). This service is available 24/7 and specialised counsellors are available for anyone wanting support with Aboriginal, LGBTIQ or family violence matters. Call 1300 361 008 or use that chat function on the LifeWorks Australia to book.
- Principal health and wellbeing strategy services are available to support principal-class employees in schools. This includes services such as Proactive Wellbeing (staff login required) which has been extended to include assistant principals, the principal mentor program and more.
- Manager Assist is a coaching service for principals, school leaders and managers, providing advice and support on a range of issues including approaching a difficult conversation with employees and managing the impact of mental health issues within the workplace. Call 1300 361 008 to book.
- The department offers free health and wellbeing (staff login required) designed to support the health, safety and wellbeing of our school staff and leaders. Current webinars, tip sheets and video recordings of previous webinars are available to all staff. Topics for staff include, Resilience in times of uncertainty, Safeguarding against burnout and Switching on your growth mindset. Topics for leaders include, Supporting your team’s mental health and wellbeing through times of uncertainty and Supporting injured or vulnerable staff in times of crisis.
- Access content that is available through the LifeWorks EAP . You’ll find support, guidance, information and strategies to manage issues relating to COVID-19, family, health, life and more (User ID: detvic; Password: detvic1).
- The Conflict Resolution Support (staff login required) is available for staff to access when they experience workplace conflict that becomes difficult to resolve in their usual team setting.
- RU OK wellbeing activities (staff login required), which includes team activities and supportive conversation starter cards for principals and school (staff login required) and school staff with their (staff login required).
- There are a range of diversity and inclusion resources available to build your knowledge and awareness of difference and how to be inclusive:
- the Workforce Diversity and Inclusion Collaboration (staff login required), including suggestions of online learning via the department's LearnED system and its membership with LinkedIn Learning
- the Inclusive Workplaces on HRWeb
- inclusive online meeting (staff login required).
- The DET Enablers Network represents the needs, interests and concerns of department employees with lived experience of disability or long-term health conditions. Peer support is available through this network. For more information contact email@example.com
- For more information or resources around diversity and inclusion, please contact the Workforce Diversity and Inclusion team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Supporting student mental health
Schools’ mental health fund and menu
The Victorian Government has invested $217.8 million over 4 years to support student mental health and wellbeing, including $200 million over 4 years and $86.9 million ongoing to create a Schools Mental Health Fund (the Fund). Underpinning the Fund is the evidence-based Menu (the Menu).
Further information about the Fund and Menu is available at Mental Health Fund and Menu.
A Quick guide to student mental health and wellbeing resources is available for schools, students, parents and carers looking to access expert guidance and resources to support wellbeing. The guide includes resources for schools to promote student mental health and wellbeing, provide early support and refer students to the right services, a range of resources. The guide also provides supports for students to help them look after their own health and wellbeing and supports for parents and carers to help them support and build their child’s physical and mental health wellbeing.
Staff who would like information and resources on how to support student mental health can visit the department’s Mental Health .
Also refer to the Mental Health in Schools page on PAL for more information on the role of schools in promoting the mental health and wellbeing of students.
Mental Health and Wellbeing Guide
The Mental Health and Wellbeing Guide provides further guidance that outlines the occupational health and safety requirements for the management of mental health and wellbeing risks and supports the mental health procedure.
Mental Health and Wellbeing Charter resources
The Mental Health and Wellbeing demonstrates the Victorian Government’s commitment to having an engaged public sector workforce that is physically and mentally safe and healthy.
- Mental Health and Wellbeing Charter
- Mental Health and Wellbeing Charter Background and
- Mental Health and Wellbeing Charter Coaching Kit for
- Mental Health and Wellbeing Charter
- Mental Health and Wellbeing Charter and
Other health, safety and wellbeing resources relevant to this policy and procedure
The Occupational Health and Safety Risk and Risk Assessment are also available to help you to identify, control and record occupational health and safety risks within your workplace. For support in conducting a risk assessment, contact the OHS Advisory Service on 1300 074 715 or email email@example.com
Reviewed 08 March 2022