Students should be selected for participation in tutoring using the following criteria in priority order:
- students below the National Minimum Standards in National Assessment Program – Literacy and Numeracy (NAPLAN) or equivalent level in literacy or numeracy
- students at risk of falling below the NMS in NAPLAN or equivalent level in literacy or numeracy.
- Other students who would benefit from small group instruction.
For students in Foundation to Level 2, schools should use the following resources to identify those students most in need of support:
- English Online Interview
- Mathematics Online Interview
- Abilities Based Learning and Education Support
- On-Demand Testing in English and .
Schools should notify families of those students selected for participation in tutoring and the support their child will receive.
Schools must record students receiving support through TLI on CASES21 by the end of week 6 each term. Student details must be updated regularly by tagging or untagging students in CASES21 to reflect the students currently receiving TLI support. When recording TLI student details schools must specify if the focus of the support is literacy, numeracy, or both.
Students selected for support through TLI may have complex learning and other needs. Tutoring through TLI is intended to build upon and be integrated with existing supports as part of a whole-school approach to learning intervention.
For more information, visit:
Reviewed 20 March 2023