Complaints and grievances
Complaints about animal treatment in a school
Any concerns regarding the care, use or treatment of any animal on school property should be reported in writing as soon as possible. For more information and to register a complaint, please refer to the complaints process on the .
In some cases it may be more appropriate to report to one of the following:
- Agriculture Victoria
- Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions
- local government
- Victoria Police.
Grievances against VSAEC decisions
The VSAEC assesses applications and monitors the use of animals in scientific procedures. When the use of animals is not considered justifiable or when it does not conform with the requirements of the Australian code for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes, projects can be rejected.
Factors that the VSAEC takes into account include:
- the impact on the animal or animals
- the anticipated educational value of the project
- the training and experience of all staff who will care for the animals during a project
- the facilities where animals will be housed and where classes will be conducted
- sourcing, caring and re-homing arrangements for the animals.
If applicants disagree with a VSAEC decision, they can register a grievance, asking the VSAEC to provide reasons for a certain decision or review a specific decision.
Reviewed 11 October 2022